blogHOUSTON.net forum

For discussion of items posted to blogHOUSTON.net

You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-29 21:49:38

Kevin
Administrator

Will the peace caravan make it to the Houston area?

Chris Elam called attention to a weekend Reuters (?!) report in the Chronicle that Cindy Sheehan might pay a visit to House Majority Leader Tom DeLay's local office:

Sheehan has been demanding a [second] meeting with Bush to discuss the U.S. presence in Iraq, where her son Casey was killed in 2004.

She plans to launch a bus tour Thursday from Bush's ranch to the White House to campaign for the withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq.

One of DeLay's Houston-area district offices likely would be the first stop, she said.

"I think our first stop might be Tom DeLay's office" in the Houston area, she said., surrounded by supporters. "I just wanted to let him know so he'll be in his office when we get there."

"The president is not going to meet with us, probably," Sheehan said. "We the people need to influence our congressional representatives, and I hear he's pretty close by," said Sheehan, referring to DeLay.

A spokeswoman for DeLay said his schedule already is set and he does not plan to change it to meet with Sheehan.

"Mr. DeLay disagrees with those who believe we should give the terrorists the timeline they want and simply cut and run from the war in Iraq," said DeLay spokeswoman Shannon Flaherty.

Awww, that's no fun Miss Flaherty. Please invite Cindy Sheehan to a local office. That's one the blogHOUSTON crew might just have to request press credentials to liveblog!

Link to post: http://www.bloghouston.net/item/1764

#2 2005-08-29 23:35:16

THRILLHOUSE

Re: Will the peace caravan make it to the Houston area?

liveblogging is kewl

#3 2005-08-30 07:22:13

Laurence Simon
Is Full Of Crap
Website

If she comes out to Houston, I shout out my "Let her meet the President" in her face.

#4 2005-08-30 07:30:38

Kevin
Administrator

LaurenceIFOC wrote:

If she comes out to Houston, I shout out my "Let her meet the President" in her face.

For anybody who might not have seen it, this is what Laurence is talking about. smile

#5 2005-08-30 07:50:23

Steelsun
Website

big_smile that's a good one.

But let's stop feeding her wants: Attention, attention, attention, future book deal.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

#6 2005-08-30 08:43:14

mattbramanti
Website

Scrappleface had a great bit on Sheehan:

Scrappleface wrote:

Actress Jane Fonda was also scheduled to appear, but her cross-country convoy ground to a halt outside of Houston this afternoon when her bus ran out of Crisco.

http://www.scrappleface.com/MT/archives/002285.html

#7 2005-08-30 09:48:48

Bill F

Laura Ingraham had some great audio clips from an NPR show interviewing Cindy.  The guy was asking the tough questions everybody has wanted to hear the MM ask her, and she clearly wanted no part of it.  She cut off what was supposed to be a 30 min segment after about 10 minutes and it was extremely clear that the guy was asking for answers that went beyond her written talking points and she wasn't comfortable answering questions that required real answers.  I would imagine Laura will have it up on her website later...if so, go listen, it tells you everything you need to know about Cindy's real motivations when you hear the answers she gives.

Last edited by Bill F (2005-08-30 09:49:10)

"Common Sense" is not nearly as common as the name would tend to indicate...

#8 2005-08-30 10:07:21

Kevin
Administrator

Bill F wrote:

Laura Ingraham had some great audio clips from an NPR show interviewing Cindy.  The guy was asking the tough questions everybody has wanted to hear the MM ask her, and she clearly wanted no part of it.  She cut off what was supposed to be a 30 min segment after about 10 minutes and it was extremely clear that the guy was asking for answers that went beyond her written talking points and she wasn't comfortable answering questions that required real answers.  I would imagine Laura will have it up on her website later...if so, go listen, it tells you everything you need to know about Cindy's real motivations when you hear the answers she gives.

I think this must be the program you're describing:

http://www.brothersjudd.com/blog/archiv … _over.html

#9 2005-08-30 11:16:49

ttyler5

I have received an email from the Protest Warriors east Texas chapter, a counter-demonstration group.

I am planning on being there to help counter any Sheehan circus at Delay's local offices, and also, something called "Peace Week" September 17-24.

I have just emailed the Protest Warriors asking permission to post the meeting time and location.

Last edited by ttyler5 (2005-08-30 11:16:59)

#10 2005-08-30 12:18:14

Bill F

Thats the one...I was shocked to see the people's (re)public radio network asking her the tough questions.  The way she crumbled when asked them says alot about what is really going on with her.

#11 2005-08-30 13:46:53

satyr

too bad she doesn't have the speech writers Bush has to help him not look like the idiot he is.  Of course she's never pretended she was anything else.   So I can't fault her on that.
If she ever does get to meet the president I'd like to see em both confront each other without the props of handlers and so forth. Now that'd be interesting.

#12 2005-08-30 14:21:24

Kevin
Administrator

satyr wrote:

If she ever does get to meet the president I'd like to see em both confront each other without the props of handlers and so forth. Now that'd be interesting.

She's met the President. He won't be meeting with her again. The Office can't be held hostage to protestors.

However, I do hope she manages to schedule a meeting with Mr. DeLay. Throw out the speechwriters. Let us all watch! smile

#13 2005-08-30 14:47:17

Bill F

Satyr,  go listen to the clips of her interview before you talk about speech writers not making her look like an idiot.  Its pretty obvious that for most of her answers she is regurgitating the typical tin foil hat wearer talking points about the war.  It is also pretty obvious that during the interview, she is being told to cut it off.  She has plenty of handlers and speech writers, and plenty of people organizing cute little photo ops.

Where this interview started going downhill for her was when the guy asked her questions that didn't have to do with her stance on the war.  As soon as he asked her a question that tipped her off that this wasn't the teeball interview she was expecting, she started the "I only have 2 minutes" and "I already talked about that before, don't you have any questions about what we are doing now?".  When it was clear the guy wanted to talk about her son and her previous meeting with Bush to start the interview and not what a terrible guy Bush was, she bailed out on the interview without even so much as a goodbye.  The interviewer clearly wasn't trying to dig at wounds or make her out to be a bad guy either, he was being very fair and asking questions to try to get a deeper aspect to the story beyond the anti-war fluff being reported by all the other media outlets.  That clearly wasn't what she expected to be asked about, and when it was clear that the interview wasn't going to be another bleeding heart "how did you feel when president bush killed your son with his own bare hands" type of interview, she bailed out.  That wasn't about speech writers, it was about her not wanting to deal with reality or answer questions about the apparent contradictions in her story and in her versions of events. 

On another note, Bush has proven in numerous forums that he isn't an idiot...Cindy has yet to do it once.  I am not an unabashed supporter of Bush, and he disappoints me in many ways...but this whole continuing charade of saying he is an idiot as a way of avoiding dealing with the shortcomings of the positions on the left is really worn out.  He may come across as slow witted or less educated because of how he talks (I was accused of the same when I took my Texas accent to Michigan), but ask anybody who has spent ANY amount of quality time with the guy and they will assure you he is neither slow nor stupid.  So come up with a new argument, because that horse is way beyond roadkill.

#14 2005-08-30 15:33:26

satyr

Bush has proven in a number of forums that his isn't an idiot? Really? I mean when he was all on his own and not propped by his handlers? I haven't seen anything that makes me feel that. The only really smart thing I've seen him do is hire the right people to help him cover his shortcomings.  Accent has nothing to do with that assessmment either. On the other hand even if he isn't a complete idiot that would make him all the worse in my eyes. Because then he'd lose the "being manipulated by those smarter than him" defense to his actions.
So ultimately whether he is a pawn or the player, the end result is still the same to me. We have a leader that I personally am sickened by.
Which doesn't make me a liberal or the left or the right, or even a conservative. It doesn't even make me anti american.

I'm not saying this Sheehan is a rocket scientist either but she is not running for office or trying to solve the all the world's problems. So insulting her about her inability to be a public speaker is really a non issue. As far as I can tell she has only one talking point she's addressing so why should she have answers to anything else. Sadly all the logical voices of opposition have failed to capture the attention that for some reason Sheehan has been able to garner. It's inexplicapable and I'm not overly thrilled with the messenger but at least the message that a lot of people are not for the war or Bush and we want honest explanations is finally getting out.

#15 2005-08-30 16:00:08

Kevin
Administrator

Tempers are sure to flare if we head much further down the Bush Is An Idiot/No He Isn't path and we probably won't change any minds, so maybe we should just leave that one for other venues to sort out. smile

To respond to one point -- I do think Bush has chosen people to carry out policies he wants carried out. Maybe not the specifics (he's a delegator, like Reagan), but the broad contours (personally, I think he's more of a driver of the broad contours than Reagan was). One may still think he's an idiot or that he's misguided, but I do think he's had a broad governing approach that has influenced his selection of personnel. I don't think anybody can reasonably claim he's been duped, although some folks do claim that.

Whatever one's view of Sheehan and her mission, I think many of us can agree that a meeting with Mr. DeLay might be highly entertaining, although we'd probably disagree on the reasons.

That's okay. smile

#16 2005-08-30 17:18:19

Bill F

I agree Kevin, all I am saying is that if people think he is an idiot, fine.  If you think he isn't...fine.  Just stop using the "oh yeah...well Bush is an idiot" line of argumentative reasoning any time you can't think of anything better to say.  Its a dead horse...stop beating it.

Anyways, I think perhaps this has all been a mountain created out of a mole hill.  I never once said Cindy wasn't an excellent public speaker.  What I said was that she ducked any question that wasn't about whether the war was right or wrong.  And yes Satyr, she has had many talking points over the last year on a whole wide variety of anti-war topics, some of them quite contradictory.  I suggest that you go read some of the coverage of the issue regarding her comments made after her first visit from president Bush, her comments at various anti-war rallies, her comments about running her kid over with her car or sending him to Canada, etc.  She has expressed many viewpoints on many subjects, and it was hardly out of line for this guy to ask her questions like "How did President Bush treat you during your first visit with him?"  She has commented to the Vacaville newspaper that he was wonderful and really comforted her family, yet in the interview, she claimed he was rude and acted like she didn't exist.  He was well within his rights to ask why her son joined the military and if she tried to talk him out of it.  Those questions provide depth to the story.  They give us insight into the mother-son dynamic and what the real circumstances were behind his going to war in the first place.  And those were the types of questions she didn't want to answer. 

If she wanted her protest to be about her and the loss of her son and why she should be allowed to talk to president Bush, then why won't she answer questions about her son?  Yet she has no problems doing interviews where the hosts give her free reign to attack Bush and ask her no probing questions.  She and her handlers agreed to do a 1 hour interview with NPR, and cut it short after only 10 minutes because the host wanted to ask questions about her son instead of what a terrible guy Bush was.

None of that was an attack on her public speaking or her "radio presence"...it IS however, all about her motivation.  She isn't a grieving mother who wants to meet the president, she is a shrill anti-war quack who is using the tragic death of a heroic young man as a cheap ploy to get attention for herself and her posse of partisans.  I am tired of being deferential to her "pain and suffering", because she clearly isn't doing this for her son or for her family.  Her family clearly does not share her opinion and has gone so far as to publish ads asking her to stop.  This whole thing is selfish, childish, and dishonors the memory of her son who by all accounts was a gung ho soldier that died heroically.

#17 2005-08-30 21:00:53

satyr

Gee Bill, didn't realize you were so in touch with what motivated this woman. Of course if my son were to go to Iraq and die for Bush's little war would that make me a shrill anti-war quack as well? And just because reportedly her family doesn't support her particular quest, does that lesson the validity of what she may feel? Didn't recall her saying she spoke for her family. (granted I wouldn't want her to speak for me either.) But who gives a damn whether her family supports her? My parents didn't exactly support some of my decisions in life but that didn't make what I did less valid or me less right about doing it.
As for the whole thing you said about dishonoring the memory of the son.. that's just a can of worms I'm not going get into right now. No reason to turn the blog into a long war of words. Lets just say we agree to disagree and we are obviously on seperate sides of the fence on what we believe.

Yeah Kevin we might disagree on why Sheehan meeting Delay might prove entertaining.. but I'm sure Delay is much to busy with his legal problems right now to deal with her, so it's probably a moot point.

#18 2005-08-30 21:45:21

Bill F

Satyr,

If you really want to be informed, please let me know, and I will spend the time to put together a list of links to the things she has said in the last year.  I am not relying on "being in touch with how she feels", I am talking about things she has specifically SAID, on the record, in public speeches and interviews, SINCE the time her son died.  However, I sense that you really aren't interested in the reality of what Cindy has said, and only want to revel in this mythical grief she is supposedly expressing.  Over 1800 parents have lost children in Iraq, and all of them are entitled to grieve in their own way.  However, Cindy Sheehan has claimed to speak for "hundreds" of other parents who have lost their sons and daughters in iraq.  In my own humble opinion, appointing yourself as a spokesperson for a large group of people without the obvious and apparent backing of many members of that group puts you in a much more public position than that of a simple mom grieving for her son and makes you more responsible to be accountable for what you are saying in their names.  Her involvement with dozens of stridently anti-war groups, including having her trip to Crawford arranged and planned with the assistance of a woman whose resume includes organizing the ultra-violent Seattle WTO protests puts her motives and actions even more into question.  I fail to see how asking her very simple questions about her son and then criticizing her for ducking very pertinent questions is somehow unacceptable behavior when she has voluntarily made a spectacle of herself for the benefit of her anti-war friends?

Let me know if you really want to be informed about what Ms. Sheehan has said and done since her son died, otherwise I will assume you want to stay uninformed and we can agree to disagree on that basis.  I think if you looked a little deeper at what she has said and done, and who the people she is hanging around with are, you might start to question how sincere her "grief" really is.

As for the family issue, I won't say anymore other than to say that since I lost my father, I understand that there are times when families need to come together and forget about their differences.  Each person needs to decide if their own personal feelings and desire to act are more important than the harmony of the family that is still alive.  Obviously she and I, and apparently you and I will have to disagree on that point as well.

#19 2005-08-31 08:41:14

Laurence Simon
Is Full Of Crap
Website

Let me know when Sheehan stops planting little white crosses outside of Crawford for the cameras and puts on a Red Cross smock.

Until then, she knows where she can stick one of those little white crosses.

#20 2005-08-31 23:31:32

Steelsun
Website

satyr wrote:

.... I'm not saying this Sheehan is a rocket scientist either but she is not running for office .....

that should be followed by :
,yet
(yet)
(this year)

etc

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Board footer