blogHOUSTON.net forum

For discussion of items posted to blogHOUSTON.net

You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-26 08:32:24

Anne

Chron's story on Grand Parkway meeting

I was able to attend the Grand Parkway meeting last night and I'll get a post written up later today.  For now, though, here's the Chronicle's story, by Kim Jackson:

State transportation officials assured Spring-area residents Wednesday night that TxDOT, and not the Harris County Toll Road Authority, is overseeing a project that would run through the rapidly developing north Harris County suburb.

[snip]

Residents are concerned that, if the project is turned over to the toll road authority, they would not have an opportunity to make public comments on the environmental and social impacts the chosen route would have on neighborhoods.

"We are looking at (the toll road authority) as a potential funding partner," Trietsch said. "We will select that route with the least amount of impacts. There are no routes available, however, that have zero impacts."

It was great to see this in today's "City & State" section, since I was expecting a story to appear in next week's "This Week" section.  It's nice to be wrong!

KTRK-13 has a small blurb on the concerns of residents and KRIV-26 had a camera crew at the meeting.  I have no idea if anything ran on KRIV last night since I was still at the meeting.

Link to post: http://www.bloghouston.net/item/1246

#2 2005-05-26 11:56:30

Dwight Silverman

Re: Chron's story on Grand Parkway meeting

OK, Anne, the pressure's on! Why didn't you live-blog the meeting?

#3 2005-05-26 12:49:05

Laurence Simon
Is Full Of Crap
Website

Because... live remote connections are best used for watching catcams? wink

#4 2005-05-26 14:03:04

connie

A few thoughts on last nite's meeting:

1. When Gary Trietsch of TxDOT said that Senator Jon Lindsay had held a private meeting with some developers of potential subdivisions and that a majority of developers had agreed upon this route, now called Alignment "F", (which is what HCTRA is now studying along with the Grand Parkway Association), what Gary DID NOT say was that even though there had already been two PUBLIC hearings, filled to overflowing with thousands of angry residents, THAT DID NOT MATTER! Only the meeting Lindsay held with the developers was considered to be of the utmost importance to TxDOT, GPA and HCTRA. To heck with the will of the people... Also, continuing with this thought, this goes out to Gary Trietsch, Mike Strech and Art Storey: THERE WAS NO (I REPEAT, NO!) CONSENSUS AMONG THE DEVELOPERS! YOU WERE LIED TO BY OUR STATE SENATOR, JON LINDSAY! HE LIED TO YOU AND NOW YOU ARE BASING YOUR DESIGN PLANS ON THIS MAN'S LIES! 

2. When Art Storey of HCTRA said the people in the southwest part of town have been BEGGING HCTRA to build them a connector from the Fort Bend Parkway to 610, and HCTRA HAS CHOSEN NOT TO BUILD IT. Well, Art, the people in this part of town have been begging you not to build the Segment F-2 of the Grand Parkway, and yet you are hell-bent on forcing this god-awful project on us. If you are really listening to the will of the people, and not "RIDING THE GOLDEN PONY" (whatever that is?) then why don't you build the connector in Fort Bend County and quit trying to build this project out here?

3. When Mike Strech of HCTRA said that they are taking very seriously the concerns of developers of potential subdivision, what he implied was that he is not taking seriously the concerns of the homeowners in EXISTING neighborhoods.

4. When Jerry Eversole, County Comm. of Pct. 4, said that he had NO CHOICE but to vote for the Grand Parkway project, because "OTHERWISE, HE WOULD HAVE NO SAY-SO ON WHERE IT GOES" was easily the most ludicrous thing said all night. Jerry, if that's the way you feel, you need to GET OUT! You are not there to play footsies with El Franco, Sylvia Garcia or the mental midget Steve "Radical" Radack. You are there to represent the will of the people, your constituents, and not just the ones living in HUMBLE! We live in Spring, we need someone (hint, hint) to represent US! I don't think you can do the job anymore, so please just get the hell out of Commissioners Court.

5. When poor, poor misguided fool Zina Holland had to read the prepared statement from the arrogant and pompous Senator Jon Lindsay, whose comments were that "HE HAS NEVER WAVERED IN HIS SUPPORT FOR THIS PROJECT" (WELL, DUH, WHAT WOULD WE EXPECT FROM THE SELF-PROCLAIMED GRANDFATHER OF TOLLROADS IN HARRIS COUNTY?), AND THAT HIS ONLY REGRET WAS THAT (DUE TO THESE MISCREANTS IN SPRING) THE PROJECT HAS NOT MOVED ALONG FASTER!!!"

One last open question to all of the above and especially David Gornet:
You all and especially David, have always said that you were forced to study alternate routeSSSSSSSS because of the public outcry at the public hearings for the DEIS and the Supplemental DEIS. Besides Senator Lindsay's hand-picked route, what routeSSSSSS have any of you been studying???????
Are ANY of them in MONTGOMERY COUNTY?????
IF NOT, WHY NOT?????????

Oh and just one more:
Last nite, David Mifflin of United to Save Our Spring asked everyone of you on the panel where the HCTRA traffic studies/travel demand studies were to justify the route being in Harris County. After playing hot potatoe with the hand-held mic, Jerry Eversole quickly handed the mic off to Gornet, who stood up and said that those studies could be found in the last DEIS. Okay, we're not morons! We know that your DEIS contained your version of the truth, what we were specifically asking for was WHERE ARE THE STUDIES FROM HCTRA TO JUSTIFY THEM EVEN BEING INTERESTED IN THE PROJECT IN THE FIRST PLACE, AND WHAT IN THOSE STUDIES JUSTIFIES IT BEING PLACED IN HARRIS COUNTY AND NOT MONTGOMERY COUNTY????
Montgomery County (the woodlands area) has SEVERE traffic congestion NOW and in the future. Spring DOES NOT. How can you justify putting it in Spring when it CLEARLY NEEDS TO GO INTO MONTGOMERY COUNTY?

I need to go de-tox somewhere now....
If anyone cares to respond, either to any of the questions posed above, or with any dirt on Senator Jon Lindsay, please do so A.S.A.P.  : )

#5 2005-05-26 14:34:31

Bill F

Connie,

Don't lose faith.  There is some dirt out there that you will either get from me or that will be appearing in another source very soon.  In the meantime, read this discussion of the "developer meeting" from a Bridgestone MUD meeting.  According to one of the guys who was there, Lindsay appeared to be looking for even a 60% consensus on a preferred route, and it doesn't sound like he got it.  The really interesting thing to me was the discussion of the relationships between Lindsay, Mr. Jones, and Mr. Hudson.  That to me will be a continuing source of interest.  Read the update starting on page 3:

http://www.bridgestonemud.com/meetings/ … pecial.pdf

"Common Sense" is not nearly as common as the name would tend to indicate...

#6 2005-05-26 15:10:42

Anne

Aaargh!  I am having one of those days that is preventing me from getting my GP post up.  I will hopefully be able to do it later today, though.  Of course, Connie's comments are excellent and on target.  There was a fair amount of ducking, dodging and spinning going on, but what else did we REALLY expect?

Liveblogging?  I better talk to Kevin about getting set up for that.  smile

Jon Lindsay:  grrrrrrrr.

#7 2005-05-26 15:21:57

ttyler5

Connie, am I mistaken or is it correct to say that the major portion of the rush hour traffic in that corridor comes out of the Woodlands, not Spring?

Last edited by ttyler5 (2005-05-26 15:23:25)

#8 2005-05-26 15:29:15

connie

Yes, that has always been one of our major contentions, that the Woodlands folks are using Spring as a CONDUIT to alleviate THEIR TRAFFIC PROBLEMS, which are all self-induced by their rapid overbuilding of the area. Their own traffic studies continuously point up that fact that their traffic is not only BAD now, but continues to worsen at alarmingly fast rates. If the TRUE desire is to alleviate TRAFFIC CONGESTION, then build the Grand Parkway were the TRUE need is, in the Woodlands, not in Spring, unless that was never really part of the equation. But for that we would have to ask Mr. Bob Jones, wouldn't we?

Last edited by connie (2005-05-26 15:29:48)

#9 2005-05-26 16:49:49

ttyler5

Bob Jones as in which one?

Also, have you tried going to the Woodlands and telling the population fighting the traffic that they need the loop in their area?

#10 2005-05-26 17:01:11

rorschach
Website

Connie, there is a fairly large swath of land north of spring stubener/ hardy toll road&I45 exchange area and south of Rayford/Sawdust (basically right along the harris/montgomery line) that is not built up that would seem an ideal alignment. It is not built up, It would be fairly simple to connect to Gosling and other routes into/out of The Woodlands and would be north of the subdivisions that would be bulldozed for this one. is that the route that you guys are proposing as an alternative to the F2 alignment? Do we have any idea whay that route isn't being considered other than the fix being in (I.E. Lindsay not profiting from it)?

http://redinktexas.blogspot.com/
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”
Samuel Adams

#11 2005-05-26 17:44:38

ttyler5

rorschach, do you know which bob jones Connie is talking about in the above post?

#12 2005-05-26 17:53:30

connie

Bob Jones as in Jones and Carter, as in personal friend of State Senator Jon Lindsay, as in the Bob Jones who offered not only his office space as a meeting place in which Lindsay could hold his private meeting, but also the Bob Jones who drew up the map now touted by Lindsay.

Also, as to the Woodlands, we had a small contingent of folks in the Woodlands area, trying to get the Woodlands Developement Corp. and the The Woodlands Community Associations up to speed on the Grand Parkway, and why the Woodlands should oppose the Grand Parkway. Instead, all the organizations within the Woodlands umbrella totally gave their support to the project, as requested by the Grand Parkway Association head, Gornet. When pressed as to why they supported it in Spring, and not within their own area, the Woodlands figurehead, Claude Hunter, a complete moron, said they just couldn't have something like that in the Woodlands, but that they needed it close by in order to give some traffic relief to their residents. AAAAARRRGH!

On why isn't anything else being studied, according to David Gornet, they are "actively studying routeSSSS" but when pressed for the location of these routes, he named only ONE, the new ALIGNMENT "F". Why are we so frustrated? This alone is reason enough. At the numerous public meetings, and the two public hearings, we have REPEATEDLY asked for them to study routes that we have suggested outside of Harris County boundaries, only to be told that "those routes are just not feasible at this time" or that the Woodlands would not approve of them. BITE ME, CLAUDE HUNTER!!!!

#13 2005-05-26 22:36:16

jerry

Let me comment on a few things that happened at last nights meeting and in other meetings:

1.  Gary Trietsch, District Engineer, TxDOT was asked what were the chances of the Grand Parkway being built.  His reply was 99% - well no joke.  Don't be fooled by this answer, he had to say this.  Look who he works for.  If he replyed any diffrently he would not have a job today.
2.  After the meeting Jerry Eversole began yelling at me because I openly stated thet if he wanted to represent the people of Spring then he should oppose any route in Spring.  He told me that because TxDOT has said they were going to build the Grand Parkway and because the other commissioners were in favor of the GP, he had to vote for it or he would have no say in the route.  I told him he was full of crap and that really made him mad.  I told him that if he wanted, he could vote against the GP thereby representing the people who voted for him.  If after this, the other comissioners voted for it and it passed, he could still have a voice in the route.  He stated that there was no way he was going to vote against the GP.  Which means that he really is in favor of it he just did not want to say that.  Simple fact is if Jerry Eversole would do his job and vote against it in Spring, the other commissioners would follow suit.  They never vote in favor for something in another commissioners area unless that commissioner says it is ok.
3.  Don't be fooled by any information about a meeting hosted by John Lindsey.  He is trying to say that no one in attendance at that meeting was opposed to the GP in Spring.  The question that was asked was anyone against the concept of the GP.  There was never any discussion or questions about specific routes or anything to do with Spring.  Do some research into Lindsey, he tried to convience Harris county to hire him to work on getting developers to donate land for the GP.   I am happy to say that Harris County declined his offer.  This man is doing everything he can to get this road in.
4.  United to Save Our Spring proposed a route within Montgomery County for the GP.  TxDOT told us that they would study any route proposed by us.  If they do a true study on this route, they will find that less homes and businesses will be lost.  No schools or playgrounds are close to this route.  Millions of taxpayers money will be saved by using this route.  The problem is that the Woodlands are against any route but one in Spring.  We will see if TxDOT does their job and truely studies this proposal.

Everyone, with the exception of Eversole, on last nights panel that spoke in favor of the GP get their paychecks from the State.  In their heart they may not agree with the GP but their bosses say promote and build it.   If they were to say anything different they would be in the unemployement line.  Eversole and Lindsey cannot use this excuse.  They were voted by the people to represent the people.  It has been reported that Eversole has stated things like if voting for this highway causes me to lose my job than so be it.  Lindsey has been heard saying sometimes you have to squash the little people.  If nothing else comes out of last night I hope that people finally realize that Eversole and Lindsey are not in office to represent them.

Jerry Thomas
President, United to Save Our Spring

#14 2005-05-27 06:19:07

Anne

Hi Jerry, and thanks for contributing. 

Here is my archive of Jon Lindsay posts:
http://www.bloghouston.net/?query=jon+l … 0&blogid=1

and specifically, here's the posts where I wrote about his attempt at consulting for Harris County:
http://www.bloghouston.net/item/623
http://www.bloghouston.net/item/1063

and here's our archive of Grand Parkway posts:
http://www.bloghouston.net/?query=grand … 0&blogid=1

Your conversation with Jerry Eversole is interesting.  That was amazing what he said, that he voted for the GP as his way of supporting Spring residents! 

I came away with the clear feeling that the officials gave standard, pre-scripted statements and answers.  Storey and Strech provided a bit of fodder, but HCTRA doesn't have to cover itself as well, since it has a build-at-will capability.

The Woodlands info is very interesting...

#15 2005-05-27 10:07:12

rorschach
Website

Jerry, I think I see another aspect as to why the resistance to move it into Mongomery county, you've probably thought of it, but I haven't seen it mentioned. IF HCTRA gets involved to pay for this, obviously it would be a toll road. HCTRA legally cannot build a toll road outside of Harris County without state legislation to allow that. The LAST time they tried to do that in conjunction with Galveston County, it was killed in Austin. If TXDOT is trying to get money from HCTRA to help pay for it then they are going to have to assume that it has to stay in Harris County to allow that to happen. Add the fact that The Woodlands development Corp and Woodlands residents in general have more money to spend buying politicians than Spring Residents do so of COURSE they want to foist thier traffic problems off on us.

http://redinktexas.blogspot.com/
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”
Samuel Adams

#16 2005-05-27 11:21:24

connie

Another comment on "why not the woodlands"?:

I can remember a few years ago, when this was proposed to David Gornet; "why not put it right along the Harris County line where it meets the Montgomery County line?" and David gave an answer about it being an environmentally sensitive area (like where we live isn't?) and that nothing would ever get build up there because of that fact. Well, a few years goes by and guess what? The Rouse Company comes along and buys up the entire tract on the Montgomery County side and announces that they are now going to build 5,000 homes right along Spring Creek, which is the dividing line between Spring and the woodlands, and also Harris and Montgomery counties. Coincidence? I think not. David didn't know about this? I think he did all along... Now the plan is to make Spring Creek "environmentally friendly" (i.e. remove all the animals) and turn the whole area into a kayaking area complete with a mini-zoo (for some of the unluckier animals, I suppose). Do you think the Rouse Company would have even considered building out on this tract of land if they were not a major player in the entire orchestration of the Grand Parkway? Think about it, where is the bridgelands? What's going right alongside of it? The Grand Parkway. Who owns Bridgelands? Rouse.

#17 2005-05-27 13:49:34

jerry

In reply to rorschach you are partly correct.  HCTRA can only build in another county if they are invited by the other county.  In the case you mentioned, they tried to enter that county without being invited.  However to be invited into the woodlands they would have to agree to share in the money received.  That means it would have to be devided three times, HCTRA, TxDOT, and Montgomery County.  Dividing by 2 (HCTRA and TxDOT) looks much better than deviding by 3.

Jerry

#18 2005-05-27 15:28:32

Dwight Silverman

Anne wrote:

Liveblogging?  I better talk to Kevin about getting set up for that.  smile

Actually, you could just write as you go, then when you get home, post it, if there's no live access at the time.

I wanted to liveblog Bill Gates' speech at WinHEC last month, but Microsoft turned off wifi in the room so no one would check e-mail or blog instead of watching Billg. I also suspect they just didn't want any liveblogging, period.

#19 2005-12-15 16:27:03

greg544

If you live in Tomball and need someone to show you a route to I-45 that only takes 30 minutes please contact me.  That is just silly.

Board footer