blogHOUSTON.net forum

For discussion of items posted to blogHOUSTON.net

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-20 16:55:08

Anne

How to skirt Mayor Parker's proposed "charitable food service ordinance"

While Mayor Parker wants to criminalize giving food to the needy, she is moving to de-criminalize tailgating at Houston sports venues:

Houston’s mayor and city council will consider amending city ordinances to essentially allow tailgating outside downtown sports venues.

The curious legal problem traces back to a broadly worded section of the city’s code of ordinances.  With broad, but very specified exceptions, it basically bans public drinking in downtown Houston.

The obvious solution for local charities that feed those in need is to move to Houston sports stadiums and call themselves tailgaters.  Problem solved.

Link to post:  http://www.bloghouston.net/item/8914

#2 2012-03-20 21:38:18

9HlpHouHomeless

Re: How to skirt Mayor Parker's proposed "charitable food service ordinance"

Anne wrote:

While Mayor Parker wants to criminalize giving food to the needy, she is moving to de-criminalize tailgating at Houston sports venues:

Houston’s mayor and city council will consider amending city ordinances to essentially allow tailgating outside downtown sports venues.

The curious legal problem traces back to a broadly worded section of the city’s code of ordinances.  With broad, but very specified exceptions, it basically bans public drinking in downtown Houston.

The obvious solution for local charities that feed those in need is to move to Houston sports stadiums and call themselves tailgaters.  Problem solved.

The obvious solution is not to let the goverment push us into a corner

Link to post:  http://www.bloghouston.net/item/8914

#3 2012-03-21 05:39:22

Factotum

Just hand out Colt45 Malt Liquors, skip the sandwiches.

If you can force me to pay your med expenses I bet you can make me pick your cotton too.

#4 2012-03-21 20:28:08

Woody Speer

"The obvious solution for local charities that feed those in need is to move to Houston sports stadiums and call themselves tailgaters.  Problem solved."

Good Idea!

The new Dynamo Stadium is right next to a large population of homeless.  Show up early and bring a little extra for the homeless and it's all legal.

#5 2012-03-22 14:37:21

FilioScotia

If I'm not mistaken Annunciation Catholic Church is directly across Texas Avenue from Minute Maid Park. Cardinal DiNardo conducts Sunday worship there from time to time.

I am calling on Annunciation parishioners to set up operations and start feeding the many homeless people in that part of town, and dare the City of Houston to do anything about it.

#6 2012-03-22 18:23:44

Ross

As long as Annunciation feeds on their own property and follows food safety guidelines, that would be fine.

#7 2012-03-22 21:40:36

Woody Speer

My understanding is the big issue is the trash and garbage that is generated.  Don't we already have littering laws on the books to address these violations that simply need enforced without new ordinances?

#8 2012-09-24 20:43:33

MyHomeHouston
Website

That seems pretty bizarre.  I don't understand what her priorities can be.  What kind of screwed up world can you live in that you want to stop people from feeding people.   I mean at the very least they are doing the job of Houston social services and probably lowering the burden on them.

View homes for sale on our Houston real estate site.  Features updated real estate statistics in our Houston real estate blog

Board footer