blogHOUSTON.net forum

For discussion of items posted to blogHOUSTON.net

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-16 22:12:59

Kevin
Administrator

Parker Administration moving to kill red-light cams (maybe)

* Houston critics see red over traffic cams - Chris Moran, Houston Chronicle

A little over a month ago, Houston Mayor Annise Parker announced she was turning the red-light cameras back on and declared she did not need the City Council's approval to do it.

Then on Saturday, just three weeks after the city began issuing citations again, she released a resolution seeking the council's endorsement to turn them back off and fight the camera vendor in court over breach of contract damages.

* Council could outlaw red-light cameras Friday - Chris Moran, Chron Houston Politics

Mayor Annise Parker has called a special meeting of City Council for Friday to consider outlawing red-light cameras in Houston once and for all.

Council will consider repealing the ordinance that authorized the use of the cameras.

[snip]

Approval of the repeal ordinance Friday would be a point of no return in the on-again off-again saga, codifying in city law a prohibition on the cameras’ use. Parker made clear she expects a decision Friday with no parliamentary maneuvers to delay a vote.

The Parker Administration seems finally to have blundered itself into the right position on this, with the usual about-faces, lack of Council consultation, and general clumsiness.

ATS is probably going to be due some damages, thanks to former Mayor Bill White's reworking of their deal. Let the city's legal department wrangle with them in court over that amount if that's what it's going to take, but definitely get on with it.

Link to post:  http://www.bloghouston.net/item/8820

#2 2011-08-17 10:02:08

Kevin
Administrator

Re: Parker Administration moving to kill red-light cams (maybe)

Kevin wrote:

Approval of the repeal ordinance Friday would be a point of no return in the on-again off-again saga, codifying in city law a prohibition on the cameras’ use. Parker made clear she expects a decision Friday with no parliamentary maneuvers to delay a vote.

Council just tagged today's action. It's not clear to me that Friday will produce a different outcome, so this may get punted to next week.

Why does the Mayor fritter away her power with statements like the one above, when it's apparent that Council doesn't pay much attention to them?

She really must not have paid much attention during Bill White's tenure (I say that not as a fan of his policies, but he was a master at Council relations and moving his agenda).

#3 2011-08-18 09:48:12

EagleHawk

These things were easier for White because he was a dyed-in-the-wool authoritarian.  Parker likes authoritarian results when they fit her world view, but she's not really comfortable with an authoritarian style that fit White's personality like a glove.

#4 2011-08-18 12:48:03

Neal Meyer
Website

Kevin,

Mayor Parker might have made it clear that she expected a decision this week on the cameras, but it seems that CM Sue Lovell, whom would otherwise probably agree with Mayor Parker 99% of the time, has tagged the ordinance, delaying the vote for another week.

Neal

Addendum edit: Whoops! I saw where you had already posted earlier in this thread where Council had tagged the ordinance. Apologies for the repetitiveness.

Last edited by Neal Meyer (2011-08-18 12:57:50)

It's one thing to read or listen to what people say they want. It is far more important however to watch what people actually do. That is when you can make a judgment as to what it is that people really value and what is genuinely important to them.

#5 2011-08-18 13:10:58

rorschach
Website

It was never really meant to be a serious proposal, it is Parker's way of pushing the decision off on Council to give herself political cover. And I'm sure she has gone around to all of the term limited CM's (particularly from those areas that supported keeping them) to promise them all kinds of things to get them to vote no on the issue.

http://redinktexas.blogspot.com/
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”
Samuel Adams

#6 2011-08-19 08:07:40

rorschach
Website

Gary Polland gives Anise Porker a B grade on her performance so far. This says FAR more about those in leadership in the HCGOP than it does about Porker.
http://www.bigjollypolitics.com/wp/2011 … y-polland/

http://redinktexas.blogspot.com/
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”
Samuel Adams

#7 2011-08-22 13:54:10

HouTex

Can you spell F - L - O - P   F- L - I - P ?  I knew you could.  Ever wonder why the legal dept. did not research this whole thing before the cameras were turned off?  I have.  City Council sounded really surprised they would be charged a premature termination fee.  This whole thing has been handled horribly by the Mayor and City Council.  I voted for her last time but not the next time.  Oh, another thing:  the drainage fee (another word for tax).

Board footer