blogHOUSTON.net forum

For discussion of items posted to blogHOUSTON.net

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-26 22:34:23

Kevin
Administrator

Examiner News: METRO finances bleak and getting bleaker

Metro’s finances bleak — and getting bleaker in latest report - Michael Reed, YourHoustonNews.com

The Metropolitan Transit Agency will be facing roughly a $2.6 billion negative cash balance by 2035, if both the general mobility payments to the city remain in place and its light-rail expansion plans go forward.

This according the transit agency’s own March 10 financial plan, based in part on current revenue and ridership projects and submitted to the Federal Transit Administration, concerning the agency’s New Starts Program funding for the North Corridor light-rail line.

METRO's playwright-in-chief is thought to be someone who understands financial reality.  When is he going to hit the brakes on the unaffordable rail expansion?

Link to post:  http://www.bloghouston.net/item/8747

#2 2011-05-27 05:45:35

Royko

Re: Examiner News: METRO finances bleak and getting bleaker

Too much grape Kool-aid for all.  Speiler might get tendonitus pouring.

"I'll keep my God, my liberty, my guns,
and my meager earnings; whereas,
you can keep "THE CHANGE!"

#3 2011-05-27 10:52:26

IHB2

regardless of the red ink, it'll be hard to kill the rail plan b/c big private developer interests fully support it as long as it's financed w/public money - the pro-rail citizens groups are useful cover for the big boys

the 2003 referendum and the associated administrative malfeasance made NIMBYism the only rational option when dealing with METRO

#4 2011-06-01 12:44:43

Ubu Roi
Website

Where Metro is concerned, I prefer BANANA.

Those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it.  But they have no idea they're in a re-run.
The GOP has failed us for the last time.  It's time for a new way: the American Conservative Party
Proud non-winner of the Nobel Peace Prize (not even nominated!)

Board footer