blogHOUSTON.net forum

For discussion of items posted to blogHOUSTON.net

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-15 09:37:44

Anne

Billy Burge: Hurry up with Grand Parkway construction...

... because Exxon Mobil is counting on it. 

That take is according to the Chron's Lisa Falkenberg, and it sounds like vintage Billy Burge:

This time, impetus for urgency appears to be Exxon Mobil. At a transportation commission meeting last month, Grand Parkway President William "Billy" Burge urged commissioners to hasten their approval in the project because Exxon planned in a couple of years to relocate its North American headquarters to a tract that falls within Segment F-2 of the parkway, between Texas 249 and I-45.
Path to more jobs?

Barton told me Monday that the parkway could help attract and retain 15,000 jobs, including some from Virginia.

Emphasis added.

What else can we try to ram down unwilling taxpayers and residents throats with the excuse that it "could help attract" [enter big corporation name].  If a company is considering moving here, is the make or break really whether or not wide swaths of the greater Houston area are bulldozed to build the Grand Parkway? 

Link to post:  http://www.bloghouston.net/item/8674

#2 2011-02-15 11:13:17

Writeacher
Website

Re: Billy Burge: Hurry up with Grand Parkway construction...

Oh, please, Lord. I sincerely hope not. sad

#3 2011-02-15 16:42:27

rorschach
Website

That WOULD explain a few things.... Does anyone know if Exxon-Mobil already owns a large chunk of land in the corridor?

http://redinktexas.blogspot.com/
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”
Samuel Adams

#4 2011-02-15 19:09:23

Anne

#5 2011-02-15 22:23:33

trafficnerd

I wonder if Exxon Mobil owned the land way back in 1970 when the grand parkway was put on the planning maps...

#6 2011-02-15 22:35:48

Ross

The land in question was acquired by a Springwoods predecessor in 1960. None of it was sold until a couple of years ago. It's all in the real property records of Harris County.

#7 2011-02-16 10:06:15

rorschach
Website

That would explain nicely why there was no attempt to move the northern most section of the F-2 Segment north into undeveloped land near the Montgomery county line and avoiding all the previously developed homes that will have to be bulldozed to build the current alignment. That land was owned by the largest corporation in the world and was being reserved for their new worldwide headquarters.... Makes perfect sense now..... Follow the bouncing buck!

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”
Samuel Adams

#8 2011-02-16 12:03:43

kjb434

Check Swamplot.  They had several postings on the Exxon development with landplans.  It's about 1500 acres on the west side of I-45 against Spring Creek with the railroad tracts to the south.

It's a pretty sizable development (no Woodlands though).

#9 2011-02-16 16:29:05

Ross

Rorschach, ExxonMobil didn't own the land when the Grand Parkway was planned. Springwoods Realty and a predecessor named Chrymirene did. The little I've found on those companies show they operate out of New York, and are involved in a number of real estate ventures..

#10 2011-02-16 17:19:40

rorschach
Website

Depends on how you define "planned". The current alignment is only a couple years old and is currently routed to intersect I-45 along around Spring-Stubener if I recall correctly which is the southern edge of Exxon's property. I notice that they have been doing some clearing in the area as well. the current alignment requires a bunch of houses to be bulldozed. if they pushed it further north few houses would get bulldozed but it would take a bunch of exxon's undeveloped land.

Samuel Adams

#11 2011-02-18 23:55:49

Woody Speer

Another tax payer funded boondogle being thrust on us by Liberals.  Ranks right up there with the Tran-Texas Corridor.  I guess they decided we didn't need a super highway to export violence out of Mexico any faster.

Board footer