blogHOUSTON.net forum

For discussion of items posted to blogHOUSTON.net

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-29 08:04:12

Anne

Astrodome Hotel cheerleader resigns county position

This is welcome news (via the Chronicle's Bill Murphy):

Under pressure from County Judge Ed Emmett, Mike Surface has resigned as chairman of the Harris County Sports & Convention Corp.

Surface cited "personal and professional interests" as the reason why he was stepping down after serving nine years as chairman.

He has been a supporter of the Astrodome Redevelopment Corp.'s proposal to turn the Dome into a convention hotel — a plan Emmett has questioned.

Emmett said he felt that it would be best to get new leadership on the sports corporation's board before Commissioners Court's next discussion of the Dome proposal in January.

New leadership that is more objective, we can hope.  Recall Mike Surface's surprising comments last March regarding the Astrodome Hotel boondoggle:

"From day one, we have always known that it is an option to do this as a publicly developed program," said Mike Surface, chairman of the Harris County Sports & Convention Corp., which manages Reliant Park.

[snip]

No property taxes would go toward the project in any case, he said.

If the county paid for part or all of the project, it would use hotel and sales taxes generated by the hotel complex and other Reliant Park revenue, such as concessions.

There is no way Surface could guarantee that property taxes wouldn't end up propping up this monster, a point Tom Kirkendall also emphasized last March.

Good for Judge Emmett, encouraging Surface to resign.  May Surface now find productive work in the private sector, where projects actually have to, you know, show a likelihood of success before they can move forward.

Link to post:  http://www.bloghouston.net/item/6257

#2 2007-12-29 17:15:53

FilioScotia

Re: Astrodome Hotel cheerleader resigns county position

Now if we can just get the County and the City to abolish this cancerous vestigial organism called the Sports Authority. 

This sorry outfit is living proof that there is nothing more permanent than a bureaucracy, especially one that was created for the sole purpose of building sports palaces for the masses. 

This organization outlived its usefulness years ago, but its minions and those who make money from it will always find reasons to keep it alive.

Last edited by FilioScotia (2007-12-29 17:19:38)

#3 2007-12-29 17:23:03

Neal Meyer
Website

Amen Filio! cool

Neal

It's one thing to read or listen to what people say they want. It is far more important however to watch what people actually do. That is when you can make a judgment as to what it is that people really value and what is genuinely important to them.

#4 2007-12-29 18:17:23

Royko

Heck,

The first thing I feared was this is an opening for Jordy.

Can't help it, but I'm girding for the worst.

"I'll keep my God, my liberty, my guns,
and my meager earnings; whereas,
you can keep "THE CHANGE!"

#5 2007-12-29 23:48:27

Elle

I hear Jordy has enough support from the Commissioners.

Last edited by Elle (2007-12-29 23:49:48)

#6 2007-12-30 20:34:36

rorschach
Website

Elle wrote:

I hear Jordy has enough support from the Commissioners.

Was that Commissioners or Commissars?

http://redinktexas.blogspot.com/
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”
Samuel Adams

#7 2007-12-31 10:50:34

HouTex

Another Amen Filio !

Board footer