blogHOUSTON.net forum

For discussion of items posted to blogHOUSTON.net

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-28 23:18:00

Kevin
Administrator

Dolcefino looks into Eversole campaign spending

KTRK-13's Wayne Dolcefino continues his reporting on County Commissioner Jerry Eversole's questionable ethics.

In his latest report, Dolcefino looks into "charitable" contributions from Eversole's campaign fund, contributions that allegedly resulted in personal gain for Eversole (an ethical and legal no-no).

The full report is posted here.

Link to post:  http://www.bloghouston.net/item/6089

#2 2007-11-29 09:34:19

HouTex

Re: Dolcefino looks into Eversole campaign spending

I'll be surprised if anything comes from this.  Another crooked politician.  Seems to be the norm.  It makes me wonder just how many more are out there.  I think their numbers are legion.

#3 2007-11-29 10:01:51

Wanderer

I don't know whether he is crooked or not, but I think having long-term officeholders, in a single office, is probably detrimental to the public good.  Time for Eversole to get out and get an honest job again.  Time for some fresh blood in that part of the county.

#4 2007-11-29 10:05:41

houtxcharles
Partisan Hack

It is sad that Houston voters allow people like Eversole to gain office, let alone to remain in office. You would think that Katrina would have taught us the cost of corrupt politicians.

#5 2007-11-29 10:27:25

rorschach
Website

I have in my hot little hands a no-bid contract that was let for the nice round number of $100,000, that runs from March 2007 to Feb 2008 between Harris County and NHMCCD, that most assuredly had to have been arranged by Eversole, but the cover sheet that would show which commissioner offered it or seconded it or which commissioner voted which way is mysteriously blank. Further I had requested the contract for every year that it had been in effect as well as the quarterly reports for each that detailed how the money was spent. You see this is an "economic development" contract and the controls on how the money is used appears to be kind of loose. I received the reports for last year's contract but not the contract itself. This was how the college district claims that the website for the Tomball Chamber of Commerce was paid for. I further requested all bid proposals that had been recieved and was told that no such records exist. In other words it was a no bid contract.

so let us recap:
no bids, vague definition as to how the money is to be spent, audit trail consists of a quarterly report to the County saying how the money was spent, but to be spent on private business interests, and likely arranged by Eversole.

Yeah, that sounds perfectly acceptable to me.... NOT.

http://redinktexas.blogspot.com/
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”
Samuel Adams

#6 2007-11-29 13:12:46

CK

It appears that one more feeding-at-the-trough policitian is meeting his demise.  If he survives this in publick office, I'll be surprised.  Just another example of why career politicians do not work.

#7 2007-11-29 13:14:43

Al
Website

Rorschach guess you just cannot trust those liberal Democrats with our money. Need to elect more Conservative Republicans.

Isn't that what the party tells us?

#8 2007-11-29 14:23:49

rorschach
Website

Nope you can't trust em, you can't trust many republicans either. Bottom line, trust nobody, verify everything, and keep one hand firmly planted on your back pocket.

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”
Samuel Adams

#9 2007-11-29 14:29:40

Anne

now if Wayne would just do some digging on Frank Wilson...

#10 2007-11-29 16:28:25

Neal Meyer
Website

Anne wrote:

now if Wayne would just do some digging on Frank Wilson...

Anne,

All our Undercover Man needs to do is follow where others have gone before and he'll have a good start on a great story. He can take all the credit for all I care.

Neal

It's one thing to read or listen to what people say they want. It is far more important however to watch what people actually do. That is when you can make a judgment as to what it is that people really value and what is genuinely important to them.

#11 2007-11-29 16:33:23

kjb434

Yeah,  I would love to see what Mr Wilson is hiding.  The only problem is that Metro doesn't have a paper trail the County Commissioners would leave.

------

Someone being a corrupt politician is never related to the party they belong too.  Electing a different party because one guy is corrupt does not solve anything.

------

Also, a no-bid contract is not necessarily illegal.  Some contracts can't be bid because of the nature of the work (i.e. Haliburton received no-bids under democrat and republican presidents because they were the only company that could perform the work).  I'm not saying what Eversole was involved in wasn't illegal, but i don't like the connotation  that no-bid contracts.  Many of times they are necessary in critical circumstances.

A fews years back when the sinkhole opened up on Almeda Road, the City of Houston did not put out a notice for engineering services.  They actually came directly to the company I work for because we had performed work in the area and was familiar with the infrastructure.

#12 2007-11-29 17:34:42

rorschach
Website

KJB434, You're right, no-bids are not in of themselves a bad thing, but they should not be the normal mode of operation either. There are always going to be circumstances where speed or special expertise is going to dominate the selection criteria. And for those instances, no-bid makes sense.

The problem I have with this economic development contract is that first off economic development is not the purview of any governmental agency. That is industry's bailiwick. Secondly, the terms of this contract are very very vague, there are no clear definitions as to what the money is to be used for, and the sole method of verification that the taxpayers got their money's worth are quarterly reports by the college district saying how the money was spent in broad terms. It smells a lot like a political payoff.

Samuel Adams

#13 2007-11-29 20:33:49

m9777

......Anne, don't forget Steve Raddack.  Actually, there are two Raddack's grazing at the County trough.

#14 2007-11-29 21:43:48

rorschach
Website

KJB, by the way, the county's paper trail isn't exactly all that great either. I requested the contracts for every year that they had been let, and the quarterly reports for same, I got THIS year's contract and the reports for this year to date and all of last year, and a spreadsheet showing the amounts for the last 10 years. That was it. They claim they can't find anything else.

I wouldn't exactly call them a paragon of document management.

Samuel Adams

#15 2007-11-29 23:53:45

Vernon Guy
Prolific Commenter/Volunteer Greeter

Gotta blame the Chron for some of this.  For years they have focused on Houston City Council, while as much or more $$$ have been flowing through the county.  Little if any coverage of the County Commissioners meetings while spotlights are in the city.

This is primarily due to the county handling things under the table while the city (as smoke and mirrors as it is) is still much more transparent than the county. 

Reporters will gravitate to the story that is much easier to write and investigate...so city gets the spotlight instead of county.

Until the forces that be (Chron) decide to dedicate resources to the areas that need to be investigated, reporters will continue to focus on the force of least resistance.

Last edited by Vernon Guy (2007-11-29 23:54:59)

#16 2007-11-30 03:11:25

Neal Meyer
Website

Welcome back Vernon,

It's nice to have some refreshed blood around here!

I suppose had to step in since our other Volunteer Greeter is still sleeping on the job.  cool

Neal

It's one thing to read or listen to what people say they want. It is far more important however to watch what people actually do. That is when you can make a judgment as to what it is that people really value and what is genuinely important to them.

Board footer