blogHOUSTON.net forum

For discussion of items posted to blogHOUSTON.net

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-09 06:34:27

Kevin
Administrator

Breaking news you CAN get elsewhere (07-09-2007 edition)

The weekend is over, but the Chronicle city desk isn't quite back to full speed this morning. Fortunately, the Chron.com Froot Loops bureau has things covered:

A man was shot after he and an accomplice tried to steal building supplies from the home of State Rep. Boris Miles in southeast Houston on Sunday night, according to televised reports by KTRK (Channel 13)

Authorities gave a reporter this account: The representative was working at his home that is under construction on South MacGregor and Scott about 7:30 when he had a noise in the structure.

Miles, who is licensed to carry a concealed handgun, went to inspect the home when he discovered two men inside.

He opened fire at the suspects, after one of the men allegedly threw a knife at him.

One man was wounded and taken to the hospital. The other was arrested. No charges are expected against Miles.

Way to stay on top of the TV news there, guys!

UPDATE: Two hours after the Froot Loops story first posted, the <i>Chronicle</i> actually has replaced it with a version by reporter Kevin Moran. It's not clear why the Froot Loops versions of these stories continue to appear in the first place. All it does it make the <i>Chron</i> city desk look silly.

Link to post:  http://www.bloghouston.net/item/5328

#2 2007-07-09 12:44:27

Sedosi
Website

Re: Breaking news you CAN get elsewhere (07-09-2007 edition)

Be careful Kevin, certain members of the InterLeft are predicting bullets lobbed at you if you keep "egging" Mr. Miles on in such a manner.  big_smile

Taking long walks off the short pier of sanity.

#3 2007-07-12 21:15:52

Kevin
Administrator

Sedosi wrote:

Be careful Kevin, certain members of the InterLeft are predicting bullets lobbed at you if you keep "egging" Mr. Miles on in such a manner.  big_smile

Yeah, heaven forbid anybody go take photos of interesting developments about town without the threat of being shot at.

The rage of some members of the local blogging community is bizarre.

I guess once an employee of the Borris Miles campaign, always an employee. Or something.

Ah well. We're employees of no campaign, political PR firm, or party here, and just call 'em like we see 'em. Photos and all. smile

#4 2007-07-13 11:33:29

rorschach
Website

Is this a private joke or can anyone join in?

http://redinktexas.blogspot.com/
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”
Samuel Adams

#5 2007-07-16 08:12:23

Kevin
Administrator

Eh, sorry, I guess those references may have been too vague.

I believe Sedosi was referring to this blog post, in which Isiah is deemed a stalker because he posted photos of Borris Miles' ostentatious palace, and "Republican bloggers" are referenced as "egging him on."

I love Isiah's photos and do egg him on (I like that Miya is making people nervous with her camera too!), so I guess maybe that reference to "Republican bloggers" includes me.

As I noted in my comment, the posters here don't really think of themselves as PR agents for the local Republican party. We generally post about policy, not parties.

Some local bloggers have different aims. The one linked above worked the Borris Miles campaign, and I believe he works for Mustafa Tameez's Dem political PR/strategy firm. Nothing wrong with any of that, but it may help explain some of the shrill partisan comments (most of which don't especially interest me -- again, this blog tends to focus on policy, not political parties).

So, all of that background is probably helpful in explaining my forum comment. smile I shoot photos of interesting urban developments all the time and wouldn't consider it stalking (I hope no Dem state rep or Dem blogger decides I need a bullet for it!), and I don't really care about promoting any organized political party's agenda with this hobby blog. Both parties have more than adequate resources to do that themselves.

#6 2007-07-20 13:06:41

rorschach
Website

heh, ok, sorry, sometimes I'm not the sharpest tool in the box. I try not to read that drivel much anyway. I am told that being called out over there is a sign that you've been noted by the lunatic fringe (aka democrats).... Kinda of a coming out party so to speak.....=D

http://redinktexas.blogspot.com/
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”
Samuel Adams

Board footer